Zakat and fasting are among the major pillars of Islam and acts of worship that Allah Most High has commanded the believers to carry out in the Qur’an. This course will teach students the inner and outward dimensions of both zakat and fasting based on the primary texts of Islam and the teachings of the great spiritual masters of our tradition. This course will address a number of questions, including:
• What is the reality of zakat and fasting?
• Why do we perform these rituals?
• How do we perform these rituals?
• What do these rituals signify in terms of our relationship to Allah?
• How do these rituals allow us to connect to Allah in this world?
About the Instructor
Born and raised in New York, Sheikh Salman Younas graduated from Stony Brook University with a degree in Political Science and Religious Studies. After studying the Islamic sciences online and with local scholars in New York, Sheikh Salman moved to Amman. There he studied Islamic law, legal methodology, belief, hadith methodology, logic, Arabic, and tafsir. He completed his DPhil at Oxford University, and is currently preparing a book on the early evolution of the Hanafi madhab.